Tuesday, February 23, 2021

 


After watching news programs where Boris Johnson outlined his proposal for our freedom day, people on social media are talking about lots of different experiences that they have missed over this past year.  Some can't wait to go to a restaurant with friends and have a sociable meal, or go to the pub or a holiday.  Businesses are desperate for things to open again so that our economic life can resume and hopefully save jobs.  Some are looking forward to being able to go to the gym although this is not my idea of fun, good for them I say.

I just want hugs.  I want to hug my family, to take my daughter and granddaughters in my arms and hold them close, cling to them, and shower all my love onto them.   I want to meet friends, and reach out to them and kiss their cheeks as we used to, without that gnawing worry that something dreadful might happen if I let down my guard.  I want to go to church again and sing at the top of my voice with joy.

Will normal ever be normal again?  Perhaps not, but united families are and must be a priority in my book.  Being apart from them is like a physical ache, and although we have social media, zoom, facetime, it is not the same.  

Let's be sensible.  We don't want to have to do this again.  We want this to be the last lockdown, so we must adhere to the rules.  They are not there to imprison us, they are there to keep us safe.  

Help us to understand the importance of obeying the rules so that we can get back to a new normal and beat this virus once and for all.  No more gatherings on the beach, or house parties, or raves, or people just ignoring regulations because they think they are not for them.


Father God,

Be with us at this worrying time.  Help us to help others by being sensible and reaching out in ways that are safe until we are told otherwise.  Father, may we use this time wisely, studying for lent and remembering that our Saviour Jesus Christ was tempted, but be turned his back on temptation, as we must do.

We ask these things in the name of our Saviour,

Amen.



No comments:

Post a Comment